Tuesday, December 6, 2011

On Why It's Not My Job To Entertain You

Sorry I haven't been blogging much lately.

Every day I have 28 hours' worth of things to do and 24 hours to do them. Feeding and changing babies takes 6-8 of those hours, and talking them down from epic temper tantrums takes another 3 or 4 hours. Working takes 5 hours (yes, I'm back to work. Can we say masochist, anyone?). Sleeping takes only about 4 of those hours, I'm deeply troubled to say, and then there's the requisite hour of me-time where I sit in a corner, hold myself, and rock back and forth. Housework is squeezed into what's left of the day (which ain't much, I can tell you. I haven't seen the counter top or a clean pair of underwear in a month).

Note that I didn't say anything about eating, showering, letting the dog out, or giving the cat her insulin shot. Quite frankly, there's just not enough time for those things. Needless to say, Milo's been doing the pee-pee dance for 3 days now and the cat is looking disturbingly sluggish.
But it's all about priorities, yanno?

I'm still loving motherhood, but now that the novelty has worn off, I love it like a person might love running a marathon...which is to say, quite a bit, but if someone wants to take over for a bit, they're more than welcome.

And after all, parenting is just one big marathon, isn't it? Where you dig deep and keep going despite the suffering, always keeping one eye on the prize (which is, in this case, relatively well-adapted offspring who leave the nest, hopefully with a full scholarship) and doing your best to ignore the fact that your body is screaming for you to give up, acknowledge that maybe this wasn't the best decision, and go find the nearest bar.

But the babies...they sure are cute. Which makes it worth it, even when they're pooping on you and sneezing in your face and having mental breakdowns at 3:00 am.
And then there's the tax write-off...
Cha-CHING!!

So who knows when I'll be back to post again.
Probably when the planets align and Aquarius is in the house of Saturn and the Eagles win the Super Bowel.

Until then, if anyone needs me, they can find me at home, because I never, ever leave.

3 comments:

  1. Please tell me "Super Bowel" was some sort of Freudian slip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the Eagle's season is kinda down the shitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete