Friday, June 7, 2013

I'm Back. Or Not. Is That A Corn Chip In My Hair? Oh Yeah, I'm Pregnant

So I've been getting the itch to blog again.

Maybe its because the boys, who are all of 20 months old now, are pretty hysterical these days, which minimizes my need for finding funny blog material.

Maybe its because I'm not working quite as much, so I'm not all zombied out from staring at a computer screen every evening.

Or maybe it's because, being pregnant again, all my active hobbies have been violently ripped from my life and I have NOTHING ELSE TO DO to retain my sanity, other than water my petunias and bake banana bread.

Did I mention that I was pregnant again? No? You look surprised. And confused. And a little wild-eyed. Never mind. Have some banana bread and we'll get back to that in a second.

So, I guess I'm blogging again.
Or maybe I'm writing A blog (singular), and will dissappear into the parenting ether for another 6 months.
The future is hard to predict when you have multiple parasites sucking the life-force out of you on a daily basis, so we'll leave this one in the "who knows?" category.

But, yeah, I'm pregnant again.
Au naturale, this time, meaning no embryologist was involved in the making of this kid, which is refreshing and a little odd for us, considering our last pregnancy was the result of a massive effort from a team of health care professionals and involved much poking, prodding, and stripping of dignity.

When your last pregnancy required about 294365348923012 trips to the doctor, it's hard to imagine just "waking up" pregnant. It's like just "waking up" with a boob job. A pleasant finding, but a baffling one, nonetheless.

But that's what happened.

I woke up pregnant one day and it seems to have stuck.

And then people inevitably ask if it was planned, because many cannot imagine that we would willingly add another child to the mix. Plus, the inability of people to mind their own business and NOT ask extremely personal questions regarding your reproductive processes truly boggles the mind.

The answer is that it was planned and it wasn't planned.
Did we want another child? Yes.
Did we think it would actually happen on our own? Hellz to the no.

So this baby may be a surprise, but it certainly isn't an accident. More like a miracle, which is okay with me.

I think we could all use a few more miracles in our lives.

So we're at 20 weeks and counting. If the birth of twins was the equivalent of the baby apocalypse, then the birth of a third one can only be interpreted as the coming of Jesus.

Or Satan.

Not sure, I guess I should brush up on my Old Testament.

But what I'm finding to be true, is that a life of apocalyptic chaos is FAR more rewarding than a life of quite control. My house is dirty and my hair is a mess, but I've smiled and laughed more in the past year and a half than I probably have in the past 10 years.

People tend to be pretty negative when it comes to children. Oh sure, they coo and beam at the miracle of life that is growing inside you...."but," they warn you, "enjoy yourselves now, because your life is OVER when he/she is born."

Your life is over.
Again and again, I hear that phrase in regards to children.

Ridiculous.

I'm here to tell you that if you're in a solid relationship with a loving partner and your shit is mostly together (mostly...because NOBODY has their shit completely together), and you're ready to throw yourself into a pretty intense and time-consuming hobby, then having children is the START of your life.
Not the end of it.

So we're adding another little person to our family.
Sure, it'll be hard. My house will be dirtier and my hair will be messier (if that's humanly possible).
And sure, I'll complain because it's WONDERFULLY CATHARTIC to complain about your children.

But at the end of the day, another child means a hundred times more smiles and laughs are ahead of us.

And there ain't NOTHIN' wrong with that, folks.

3 comments:

  1. I really want you to have a girl this time, because your'e a pretty cool chick and I think she would be too.

    And, while there are no babies inhabiting my uterus any time soon, I should warn you, that if you inadvertently steal my perfect girl baby name (nope, not telling you what it is), our kids will have the same name. Just saying... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your outlook..... and looking forward to the new person!

    ReplyDelete